There are many towns named Bangor in the world: in Wales, in Ireland, in the United States, in Canada, in Australia and Belle-Ile.
The name of "Bangor" comes from a welsh word meaning a settlement protected by a wattle fence.

Click on the small pictures to enlarge them (format: 600x450 pixels).

Commune of BANGOR, Belle-Ile en Mer, district of Lorient, Morbihan, Brittany Region.

The commune of Bangor takes up a large part of the central plateau of the island, which was for a long time covered with moor. In addition, Bangor is the only commune completely facing the Wild Coast. During a long time, it was a disadvantage, as, without safe moorings, no maritime activity could be developed. Nowadays, the growth of the touristic activities favours the commune which holds some of the most beautiful beaches of Belle-Ile (Donnant, Kerel, Herlin, Yeyew, Dotchot, Baluden, etc.).

On the commune of Bangor, the magnificent sites of Domois, Port-Coton or Goulphar have inspired painters for more than a century. In addition to Claude Monet and John Peter Russell, numerous artists came to Belle-Ile to get inspired, as for instance: Charles Cottet, Henri Matisse, Victor Roux-Champion, Alexis Gritchenko, Francis Auburtin, Maxime Maufra, Henry Moret, Constantin Kousnetzoff, Marcel Gromaire, André Masson, Jean Hélion, André Marchand, etc...Here are some paintings:

Octave Penguilly L'Haridon, small sea-gulls, Donnant, 1858
Henry Moret, Goulphar, 1895
Henry Moret, Foghorn of Port-Coton, 1895
John Peter Russell, Shepherdess with goats, 1897
Francis Auburtin, Goulphar, the red sail, 1896
Claude Monet, Rocks at Goulphar, 1886
Maxime Maufra, Cliffs of Belle-Ile, 1913
Claude Monet, Self-portrait, 1886
Maxime Maufra, Large swell, Donnant
Francis Auburtin, Boats, Goulphar, 1896
Henry Moret, Domois, 1897

At the most recent census (in 1999), the commune of Bangor had 738 inhabitants (which is a clear increase if compared to the census of 1975, when there was only 563 inhabitants). The surface of the commune of Bangor is 25,54 km². The small town of Bangor has extended around the historic center, whose shape has not changed very much since the eighteenth century.

Aerial view of Bangor:

Some dates of the history of Bangor

The origin of Bangor is old: in 1006, Belle-Ile is owned by the monks of Redon and Quimperlé, and is organized in parishes. It is the beginning of the clearing of the land and the parish of Bangor is created (around 1029).
In 1572, the first windmill is built on the parish: the mill of the Moor.
Belle-Ile is given to the Duke of Retz. Depending on the Holy See,the parish of Bangor is annexed to the Diocese of Vannes in 1666.
In 1761, Bangor is held by the English Army (Headquarters were installed in the presbytery during the siege of the Citadel).
1765: projects of gift of land by the King to the inhabitants of the island, and, in 1766, 78 Acadian families come to Belle-Ile (of which 31 settle on the parish of Bangor).

Bangor becomes a commune in 1790.
1834: first local primary school (for boys).
1836: the Lighthouse of Kervilahouen is put into service.
1892: construction of a local primary school for girls (present town hall).











De Goulphar à l'île Bangor De Goulphar à l'île Bangor Pointe des Poulains Aiguilles de Port-Coton Plage de Donnant De Donnant au Grand Guet De Goulphar à l'île Bangor De Goulphar à l'Ile Bangor De Goulphar à l'île Bangor De l'île Bangor à Porh Gwenn De Porh Gwenn à Kastel Brand De Kastel Brand au Skeul Du Skeul à Kerzo De Kerzo à La Biche De La Biche à la pointe Bugul De La Biche à la pointe Bugul De la pointe Bugul à Port Guen De la pointe Bugul à Port Guen Le Palais Des Curés à Port Jean Sauzon Sauzon De Fri Mez à Kerledan De Kerledan à Donnant De Baguen Hir à Fri Mez